8.07.2011

Body Art

               The connoisseur  of magazines that I am (I have at least 6 subscriptions to different mags and have issues dating back to 01'), I've noticed a subtle trend starting to form on the glossy editorials. Within the last 3 years tattoos have started to be shown off in magazine spreads and fashion ads alike. I'm sure of course this has a direct correlation to the sudden increase of people getting tattoos in general, but the combination of the 3 art forms intrigues me.
              I am a full supporter of tattoos, way before I got my first one I've been obsessed with the sentimental symbols and pictures and paragraphs that people choose to get permanently drawn on their bodies. Of course I prefer to see them in moderation (sorry Wiz Khalifa I'm not gonna ink my whole body) but generally speaking I think a well done, symbolic tattoo is one of the highest forms of self expression and furthermore, body art.
              For a long time visible tattoos were taboo, and to a certain extent they still are. Its true that some tattoos in some careers heed inappropriate and guarantee you don't get the job. However, this  fad of body art being paired with an industry that already breaks all the rules, I personally feel is a collaborative creative effort of epic proportions. Photography is an art, fashion is an art, and tattoos are an art form, and all three rap upon using the human body as a canvas of creativity and expressionism. I think together they make amazing visuals and produce higher level of creativity and 'art'.



(Rih Rih's side by her boob & shoulder tat are visible)

No comments:

Post a Comment