6.15.2011

New Kids on the Block

New designers pop up on the scene and become overnight success everyday. Some are quite worthy of that attention, and recognition, and fat paycheck. Some....ehhhh lets just say they don't excite me. But the following 6 designers are in my opinion the best (relatively) new comers in the game right now. Yes some of them have similar design styles, but that's because I'm usually drawn to Contemporary American design styles with somewhat of a feminine edge. My fashion heart worships that type of aesthetic, however some you may be surprised....

6. Chris Benz
At that same meet and greet where I met Eric Daman, I also had the honor of meeting Mr. Benz, whom before then I had really only slightly heard of. After that fateful day, I came home and looked up his collection on style.com and immediately became a fan. His bright and cheery clothes with unusual silhouettes and slight street influences, completely matches his personality. Another tried and true designer.




(top to bottom: Fall 07', Spring 09', Spring 10', Fall 11')

5. Charlotte Ronson
The second collection from a sort of risque younger designer. I came across Ms. Ronson by pure curiosity, I heard her name and didn't know who she was. I decided to check her out and was pleasantly surprised. Even though her style of designing isn't something I would personally wear (a little too Ke$ha for my taste) that's why i love it. Its a mix between grunge and street style with a little feminine edge. Its very much the wardrobe of the feminist rocker. As I viewed her collections I couldn't help but humm Tik Tok because it seems like the perfect "I don't give a damn attitude" to go along with the aesthetic. And as a person who much prefers most designers' fall collections the fact that both Spring and Winter collections were phenomenal says a lot.




(top to bottom: Fall 09', Spring 10', Spring 11', Fall11')

4. Tracey Reese
Destiny stepped in and introduced me to Ms Reese via a project for my Fundamentals of Design Class. I was assigned a designer in which I had to use their aesthetic as an inspiration for my own collection. When I drew Tracey Reese from the hat I remember thinking "great shes prob wack and this project will suck #FML". Actually giving her a chance I instantly fell in love (no homo) but I have a legit girl crush on her. These collections with their feminine sophistication but relaxed LA edge tugged at my heart strings. Not to mention I'm an adamant supporter of all brown girls in the business, but she actually has the talent to back up my fierce dedication. No doubt, Ms Reese is ah- mazing.



(top 2 bottom, Fall 11' Fall 09', Spring 07', Spring 10')
3. Jason Wu
I was weary of this designer at first, a Parsons Grad and mentoree of Narcisco Rodriguez, sure he had the credibility, but would he be able to turn out a good collection? But after gaining fame from dressing Lady Obama and after 4 consecutive years of beautifully crafted, artistic clothing; I have no more reservations. I've definitely been wooed. He makes the kind of clothes that I myself would only hope to make some day. From his dressy casual menswear meets the royalty inspired separates to his dinner party attention grabbing dresses; I must say, I am definitely a fan.




(top to bottom: Spring 08, Spring 10, PreFall 10', Fall 11')

2. Prabal Gurung
I stumbled across this new designer while reading one of my Elles. In the feature about his label he said "I'm not a designer who makes trendy clothes, I've traveled around the world and the only universal trend is that woman want to be beautiful, that's what guides my work". And that he does any woman, would feel beautiful in his artistic and colorful sportswear collection. Formally working for Bill Blass, he premiered in February 09' and ever since he has been exuding power, grace, and confidence through his clothes; everything the modern woman strives to be.  




(Top to Bottom: Fall 09', Spring 10'Spring 11', Fall 11')
1. Alice + Olivia
Being the ultimate girly girl that I am (OK I admit it). I love this contemporary American brand. It is designed by Stacey Bendet. She constantly holds to her feminine aesthetic and colorful textured clothing. There is a strong emphasis on party dresses. Its sophisticated and fun at the same time. Its sold in 5 flagship stores and department stores worldwide and is worn by fashionistas like Blake Lively, Fergie, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. On a recent trip to Barney's I came across the latest collection and let me tell you it is even more breath taking in person!



                                 (From top down: Fall 10' Spring 11' Fall 11' Resort 11')

No comments:

Post a Comment