1.04.2013

I Resolve

            
             Every January 1st Americans around the country marvel at the past year and look forward to whats to come in this new set of 365 days. We do many things to celebrate this new beginning: attend an over pass service, spend quality family time, shack up with our lovers, watch the ball drop or get stupid drunk and have your phone stolen (my NYE shenanigans). But among all the most common tradition is making a list of things that we hope to change from last year.
              I too sat down with my favorite purple pen and my Marilyn Monroe spiral and tried to think of things that I would resolve to do in 2013. Although I definitely came up with some essentials: don't give my number to every cute random guy, be nicer to my brother, try to land an internship; it occurred to me that one of the most frequently overlooked categories of resolution is our wardrobes. Such a vain sounding resolution yet potentially a stepping stone to achieve other goals. Sure changing up your personal style may not win you a Nobel peace prize or grant you a new Audi but it just might increase your chances of getting that promotion and new shoes might finally catch the eye of the office cutie you've been eyeing.
            So in this new year I resolved to make some necessary changes to my personal style and outlook on my appearance. But we shall call them vows (after all the divorce rate is still lower than the number of new years resolutions kept). As I put up my new calendar and try to consciously remember to write 13' in all my dates instead of 12', these 13 things are my vows for the new year and a very stylish new me (OK I'll admit I've had the movie on replay) ;)
           
  1. I vow to rededicate myself to Aesthetic Value
  2. I vow to rekindle my love affair with accessories
  3. I vow to take risk in my garments, not just my accessories
  4. I vow not to be intimidated by prints
  5. I vow to engage in vintage shopping on a regular basis
  6. I vow to not let my uniform stunt my personal style
  7. I vow not to follow trends but to embrace them organically into my wardrobe
  8. I vow to wear heels on non - special occasions
  9. I vow to stop matching my makeup with my outfit
  10. I vow to remember that a bad hair day or bad attitude are the biggest enemies to a chic outfit
  11. I vow to accept that beauty is pain
  12. I vow to break gender specific dressing rules
  13. I vow to purchase at least one pair of jeans (for those friends of mine who beg me to put on pants in winter months) lol

           

No comments:

Post a Comment