4.20.2011

Men of Style

            If there is one thing that I learned from high school (aside from random facts ill probably never need to know unless I'm on a game show, like the square root of a hundred and when exactly The Treaty of Versailles was made), is the importance of 'swag'. (I believe we have Soulja Boy to thank for a large part of that). And the biggest element of that being, how to dress. In the halls of most (or maybe just my) high school when girls wanted to come up on top, gain a little popularity they usually underwent the follow transformations: toned up, actually wore makeup, got a new hairstyle and left Discovery for Forever 21. The guys much more simply, invented themselves some good ol' 21st century 'swag'. Got themselves a hair cut, some fresh shoes, dabbed on some cologne and found some improved threads.
          There's a famous quote by Marilyn Monroe, that says "if you can get a girl to laugh, you can get her to do anything". The updated version of that should be "if you can get some swag, you can get any girl you want". Lets face it, we women are suckers for guys who dress to a tee and carry confidence in all things they do. Boys who no one would take a second look at freshman year were voted prom king and best dressed senior year. What happened? they visited a barber, discovered the men's section at F21 and American Apparel, and recited to themselves "I'm the shit bitch". And girls were throwing their panties at their feet and FedExs their vajjs via fb mail. So in honor of this wide spread epidemic (that could only take place in the 21st century) I role out the Aesthetic Value Carpet and present to you my "best dressed" picks from Hollywood.

6. B.O.B
He takes geek chic to new heights. His eclectic yet classic nerdy style sets him apart in a world where everyone wants to blend in. Its like he wears some of the same basics as other well dressed male celebs, but its the details that make his style so....Bobby Ray. Its the glasses, the grandpa hat, the rolling up of the sleeves; it takes him from just another guy in a varsity jacket to "ummm can I be on team B.O.B.?". As my friend Katrina would say "his style is so hot". If this is how all the guy in Atlanta dress, i need to book a flight ASAP!





5. Chris Brown
He's come a long way from his saggy jeans and graffiti sweatshirts that he rocked when he was 16 to now. And he's also come a ways from his epic downfall with the whole Rihanna debacle. Hes living proof that what defines us is how well we rise after falling. All of a sudden people were forgetting about his domestic violence charges and falling back in love with Chris breezy. Needless to say his fashion sense evolved along with his maturity and career. He looks just simply delicious in his preppy hip hop style. The graphic shirts, the 80's revived jeans, the bow ties, the v-necks. Everything about his swag and his way of dressing makes you wanna forgive, and then immediately following, do him. He's another celeb that has embraced the men in skinny pants trend, and he works it. BTW who else can pull of that Sisqo - Esq hair color? Even as a blond he's still having more fun. And come on when seeing him on any appearance or new video or magazine spread who doesn't wanna take him down?



4. Ashton Kutcher
Not exactly the first name that probably comes to mind when you think of swag huh? But swag is based mostly on confidence, and he brings to the table a different flavor of it. He has that humble boy - next - door attitude about him, that's complimented by classic, on the verge of dorky style. He's like the boy equivalent of that just rolled out of bed look girls try to go for. And some how he even makes hats look cool. I'm usually not a fan, but his Fedora and trucker hat collection is kind of amazing. Everything is just effortlessly thrown together, in a classic all American way. Clearly something attracted Demi Moore to him and I bet aside from his King of Comedy routine and his moderately cha- ching pay check, his sense style made her feel she's won the jackpot. Married or not, Demi better watch it, cause her hubby is hot...(if you're reading this Ashton) call me ;-)




3. Justin Bieber
OK confession time, I have a mild case of Bieber Fever, not enough where I'll run screaming to give him a hug if I ever saw him, but enough to make 'Baby' and 'One Less Lonely Girl', my ringtones. I didn't see what all the hype was about at first, I mean come on, he has a bowl cut for crying out loud. But when I saw his performance on this year's Grammy Awards, I remember my exact words were "that little boy can dress! OK, I see you Justin!". Once again swag is everything. On any other guy, purple or red skinny jeans could either read 'gay' or 'new boyz' but on him, it strangely looks completely authentic. He definitely has a uniform: skinny jeans some type of v - neck shirt or jacket, and the latest shoes. Granted, just admitting out loud how cute he is, is probably enough to send me straight to the big house for pedophilia, but on a strictly fashion worthy level; i fux with Justin.




2. Pharrell Williams
All I got to say is "beautiful, I just want you to know, you're my favorite boy...". Haha. Yes I did just call a man beautiful. Pharrell just exudes sexy, everything from his voice to his smile, his mannerism, down to most importantly; his style. There's nothing I love more than a man in a cardigan. =P.... His style is so on point. He might be in N.E.R.D. but a real geek could never dress so fly. He just rocks everything he wears, its like being fashionable is second nature to him. The vans, the converse, the hoodies, the scarves; I may not know much about men's fashion (a tux is a tux to me), but I do know what looks good. And Pharrell? He looks damn good! There's a reason he has a permanent first row seat in almost everly major fashion house, every year.




1. And for the Number 1 spot, the man who I consider (as well as I'm sure most of you will agree) is the most fashionable man in Hollywood, and at least in the top 20 of the world......Kanye West. Yes Mr. West is definitely in the building. Do I seriously even have to explain why he's number one? With out blowing up his already planet sized ego, I must say the man is just a star. He probably pisses glitter. He is definitely cocky but some of that over confidence comes from a complete place of credibility. I mean I'm legit jealous of his closet. His sense of style is so meticulous and fashion forward. Idk how he gets all this fashion knowledge but he knows his shit. There probably is no other match to a black hip hop star in this century that has sparked so many trends in menswear or in fashion in general like Kanye. Its a good thing he's focused on music because I feel like if he ever decided to do a clothing line, all of the other urban fashion lines, would just immediately shut down and file for bankruptcy. Just like Ms Saldana is a category killer, so is Mr. West. As far as men's fashion is concerned, he is Mr. 21st Century.



No comments:

Post a Comment